Colombia accuses FARC dissidents of having committed a car bomb that injured dozens of them | Latin America News
The Corinto bombing on Friday injured 43 people, including several officials, the defense minister said.
The Colombian government has accused dissidents from the Left Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) of detonating a car bomb on Friday that injured dozens of people, including several officials.
Defense Minister Diego Molano said early Saturday that 43 people were injured in the bombing in the town of Corinto, about 60 km south of Cali, in western Colombia.
Six people were seriously injured, while 20 others were slightly injured, Molano said.
“We express our solidarity with all those affected by this indiscriminate terrorist attack that took place … with a car bomb in front of the mayor’s office of Corinto,” he said in a recorded video statement.
He blamed the attack on the Dagoberto Ramos Mobile Column, a FARC splinter group.
FARC dissidents rejected a 2016 peace deal that ended the group’s participation in the armed conflict in Colombia, which left 260,000 dead and millions displaced.
Colombian government and military officials said there remained between 2,500 and 3,000 FARC dissidents nationwide.
President Ivan Duque condemned Friday’s attack, saying: “Those who use this type of practice are enemies of peace in our country.”
The United Nations mission in Colombia also condemned the attack and expressed solidarity with the victims and their families.
“We call for the implementation of concrete measures for the overall protection of communities and the strengthening of security guarantees in territories affected by violence,” he said in a statement. declaration Friday.
Colombia has seen an increase in violence over the past year.
In a report released last week, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said 389 people were killed by explosive devices in 2020 across the country – the highest total since 2016 – and most of the casualties were civilians.
The ICRC also said that 571 people had been reported missing since 2016 – an average of one person missing every three days.
In early March, the government declared that Colombian army bombed a base used by FARC dissidents in the southeast of the country, killing 10 dissidents and injuring three others.
Earlier this week, one of Colombia’s most notorious former FARC leaders called on the US Congress to seek help in implementing the peace deal.
In a letter, Rodrigo Londono asked Congress “To start the promising development process of our country to adopt sustainable proposals to eradicate drug trafficking, modernize the territory and protect life”.